Today is the day my pit bull Cookie was born. I know, I know, a dog’s birthday, really?
If you own a dog, you probably get it. My dog, well, one of three, is just about the gentlest soul ever. Despite what the media tells you about my dog’s breed, most pitbull owners will tell you that they are the best dogs they have ever owned. Cookie, a shepherd and pit mix, is the smartest, sweetest, and silliest dog I have ever had, and we love her like a member of the family. And the day we adopted her, one of my kids was smart enough to ask the Valley Oak SPCA what her birthday was, so that we would always remember to celebrate it. I didn’t think at the time that we would ever really do so, but here we are on year 4, and I baked her another birthday cake today.
So, happy birthday to my favorite pooch and the sunshine in my day, Cookie.
If you need a cake recipe for your dog, this is guaranteed to please! And let’s face it, our dogs bring us so much joy and love, a simple gesture like a special treat would make your dog’s day. Try it!
- 2 cups Otto's Cassava Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shredded carrots (or sauerkraut)
- ½ cup Burroughs Family Farms almond butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Burroughs Family Farms organic, lemon olive oil
- 2 large Burroughs Family Farms eggs
- ½ cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Grainfree doggy treats (or fresh fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- I used a heart shaped cake pan. I greased it with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the cassava flour and baking soda. Add the shredded carrots, almond butter, honey, olive oil, eggs and water.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and cool about 10 minutes. Flip cake onto a cake pan. I used a large bowl so that my dog's crumbs would stay inside the bowl. Well, hopefully, most of them.
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and honey together and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top.
- Decorate with the doggy treats, if you're fancy.
- Happy Birthday, pooch! Enjoy! Woof!