Lunchtime is often spent at my desk. Sometimes it’s what I’ve cooked for a post, maybe it’s leftovers, occasionally it’s an almond butter and honey sandwich with some fruit and a glass of milk. Whatever it is, it’s usually eaten while I do something else, often standing at the kitchen island because I don’t have time to sit down.
I sat down for this one.
I would argue that almost anything is better with bacon. I could probably give up any other meat. But, bacon, it’s not going anywhere. Paired with crispy on the outside, tender on the inside turnips, and these two things alone could win me over.
The veggies were cooked in the bacon grease and some olive oil.
They took less than ten minutes. This is a quick one to whip up.
Once the veggies were done, they got moved over to the side so an egg could be fried. I like to get the skillet really hot, so the edges can crisp up a bit. Then I flip, turn off the heat, and let the top set just a bit. I like the yolk to be runny, so it will combine with the veggies to make a dressing of sorts. However you like to cook your eggs will be perfect though. You could even scramble them if you’d like.
I sat and ate this while making yummy sounds and writing happy notes in my recipe notebook.
Is it weird that I want to have this again for dinner instead of the homemade pasta with homemade tomato sauce that I’ve got planned. Yeah, I liked it that much.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 small turnips (or potatoes or rutabagas), chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 2 C broccoli, chopped
- 1 egg/person
- 2 T gouda cheese, chopped
- 1 T green or spring onion, chopped
- 2 T almonds, chopped
- lemon slices, for serving
- Cook bacon. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate. When cool, crumble.
- Add olive oil to bacon grease. When it's hot, add turnip through cayenne. Cook over medium or medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli and cook another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Move veggies over to the side of the skillet (or remove and keep warm). Fry egg(s).
- Divide the veggie mixture between two plates. Top with egg, cheese, onion, almonds, bacon, and a squeeze of lemon.