Given my food allergies, I try hard to eat as well as I can. I often miss the things I used to eat though, like breads, bagels, sandwiches, etc, and the breakfast sandwich is no different. I really miss those things. It makes eating on-the-go tough, too, when I am on a road trip with my family who all want to grab a breakfast sandwich at a drive-thru and I am reduced to just coffee. It really is true, people with food allergies do feel left out often, because they want to enjoy the same things as everyone else, especially if an egg mcmuffin use to be a favorite. Sad, but true.
It’s no secret that I have often not been a fan of many gluten-free breads, but I recently found a brand that does not disappoint. The Schar Gluten-Free Ciabatta bread is out of this world. And it is true, there are many gluten-free brands out there pumping out some mass-produced breads that do not live up to the hype. The jokes about cardboard tasting gluten free breads are all true, until you start asking around. Schar does an amazing job of making bread that is soft and spongy that compliments any sandwich really well. The ciabatta bread is a gluten free roll like no other and when I first tasted it, I immediately thought of breakfast sandwiches!
Paired with Burroughs Family Farms organic, pastured eggs and grass to gold Gouda, a little bacon, avocado or guac, and any other veggies you have on-hand, this breakfast sandwich will start your day right. This recipe is similar to my Omelet In A Cup recipe. Making the eggs is similar, but if you don’t like using a microwave, you can scramble your eggs and add them to the sandwich with all the other goodies. But for those on the go and in a hurry, this speedy version will get you a great breakfast and out the door for your day in no time flat!
- 6 Ramekins
- Burroughs Family Farms organic olive oil to prep ramekins
- 8 Burroughs Family Farms large eggs
- ¼ c milk
- 1 c Burroughs Family Farms grass to gold Gouda
- Seasonings, to taste, i.e. salt, pepper, garlic salt, etc.
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 8 slices bacon
- Sliced tomato
- 8 rolls of Schar Gluten Free Ciabatta Bread
- Grease 6 ramekins with olive oil, or in turn if you do not have enough to do all 6 at a time
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and seasonings
- Pour equally into 6 ramekins
- Divide cheese into 6 ramekins
- Microwave ramekins with egg, milk, cheese mix for 2-2.5 minutes. May take longer if cooking more than one at a time, depending on your microwave.
- Turn all ramekins over onto plates and allow to cook slightly.
- Dress ciabatta with guacamole, tomato, if desired.
- Add one egg to each bun.
- Top with bacon.
- Drizzle with desired hot sauce.
- Try not to eat them all at once.